Sunday, July 19, 2009

Simplicity is beauty---Buck Peak, OR---Mt. Hood Natl. Park

How is everyone? It feels like a great summer so far for everyone I have talked to back home and other family members not back in WI. Shout out to Mom and Dad, I hope the car show went great yesterday and Friday. We'll talk soon :)

So, Buck Peak is the one of the great outlooks of Mt. Hood and it's just west of Oregon's highest peak (Hood). Our campsite was actually located a good 20 minutes south of Buck Peak and we were inconveniently put on a ridge where the brutal July weather hit us with no remorse. The first 3 days were nothing but rain and temperatures ranging from low 40's to mid 50's. It was the type of weather where we really had to look out for the signs of hypothermia.

The great aspect of our team is that none of us complain. Everyone understands the situation and how miserable the weather is but that didn't let us get down. We already have been dealing with adversity during this hitch because I forgot to pack the stuff sack that contained our gravity water filters so we had to dedicate time each day to get water from our spring and then each person would personally sanitize their drinking water with iodine drops, which with prevent giardia.

The rain, combined with cold temps, gets inside your body and chills every muscle to the point of shivering. The toes and the fingers of course are the worst, and even being from WI, I couldn't even stand the cold at some points. Once your clothes get wet you have to consciously watch your body temp to prevent sweating because once your body cools after sweat, you die. Just messin', but it's no fun. Les Stroud (Survivorman) always says in regards to cold temps, "You sweat...you die."

Mt. Hood is such a spectacular view from Buck Peak and the pointy tip makes it one of the most technical summits in the nation. Many people die each year attempting to summit the peak because of the constant avalanches and lack of experience. One day I will summit.

Our team finished our last day by completing 32 aprons for separate rockbars, cleared 5 drains for diverting water flow, and brushed up a good amount of trail. Our treat at the end of the day was the view from Buck Peak which is shown in most of these pictures. It is such a remote location and since we cleaned up all the brush leading up to it, people can now enjoy the hike to the summit to see a fantastic view of Mt. Hood.

This hitch was the most rewarding for me so far. With all the drama that was caused by my forgetting the water filters and everyone sitting down that evening and discussing the importance of communication and also everyone took it upon themselves to express anything else that was on their mind. Our communication is becoming much more open and each member of our team is growing with comfort towards each other's actions and tendencies.

Many of our members quoted this hitch as being our worst one yet but now that it is over I think it was our best one yet. I love cliche quotes that you hear as a child and then they finally make sense later on. Such as, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I am in the middle of reading Walden by Thoreau right now and I really enjoy reading about the simplicity of his life on Walden Pond and relating the simplicity of my hitches when we are in the back country. It really helps me decipher my needs from my wants. The crucial aspect of my experience from Thoreau's would have to be that I have six other great people surrounding me each day to grow with. Simple life helps me appreciate all the luxuries that are present in everyday life. Food, shelter, companionship, water, and my family are the necessities I need to live.
















































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment