Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chuck Smoker, reporting for duty.

On the majority of our hitches we are lucky enough to be joined by volunteers, in the surrounding areas we work, that are generous enough to donate their time to help us maintain that section of the Pacific Crest Trail. The aspect of leading volunteers was one of the main reasons I was drawn to this particular trail team. Going into the term I had a preconceived understanding that a lot of our volunteers would be local high schoolers or peers of ours. Every now and then you are touched by an individual that gives you new inspiration and a true sense of the fortunate life we have been placed in.



Chuck Smoker. He is a 68 year-old Native American from the Yurok tribe and his wife Susie and himself have been avid hikers previously throughout the years. He showed up on the scene and immeadiately his sense of humor shined through, almost to the extent where people in our team and the Forest Service employees didn't truly understand the humor he brought to the table.

Cowboy Bill was truly on a different page than Chuck. When Cowboy Bill's mules arrived at our campsite with Chuck's new folding chair he thought he would thank, the old-fashioned and traditional, Bill with a kiss. As Chuck, aka Smokey, leaned in for a peck Bill snapped backwards and said, "What the f*** are you doing."
Chuck obliviously responded, "Our people give kisses when we are thankful to another."
"Well I am a white man," Bill responded, still confused by the whole situation.
It's the whole-hearted beauty of Chuck that brings a smile to my face when I see these pictures.



Chuck, back in his hayday, competed in a lot of triathalons and hiked nearly all of the beautiful sites in the Northwest region. He would clue me in on a lot of local flowers and trees and when I asked to hear more about Native American traditions he was generous to give me deep details that helped me understand more about the Americanization of surrounding tribes. I love to joke around and make each situation fun so I took to Chuck and I think he took to me just as well. We could make fun of each other with no hard feelings and at the end of the day still carry on a true respect for one another.

Even though Chuck arrived at camp at 267lbs (finished 258), I mention this because Chuck is honest enough to tell you his weight, he worked the hardest out of everyone on the trail that hitch. Chuck is not the type to just sit around and watch; he would be by my side waiting for the invitation to sweep out and level the tread I cut into. He would inch slowly down the slope to McCleod the excess dirt out and all he asked for in return was a helping hand to pull him back up the slope.

Chuck never asked for much. He was perfectly content with a full plate for dinner and enough water to keep him going. Chuck and I walked back to our site after a long day's work one day and we would take a break every now and then to catch our breath and to enjoy the shade. Chuck always said to me, "If you are going to walk in this beautiful nature you should slow down and enjoy all the scenery. Some people walk too fast and miss the point of surrounding yourself in nature."



The day after we got all packed out of our campsite we promised to drop off Chuck's chair at his house because he walked out early in the morning. We arrived at his home and meet his wife Susie in Medford and sat down for a cup of joe. When I mentioned to Susie how hard Chuck worked she responded without surprise, "I know he did. Chuck only knows how to work hard."

After Chuck awoke, and what took very little convincing, we got him to bring his guitar out for a little singalong, for he always spoke of guitar being his true passion. He played about a half dozen songs and his stage presence and joy shined in each one. His eyes were always filled with a certain pride and story that seemed to burst out with each chord he strummed. We all enjoyed listening to Chuck's stories about the prisons, churches, homeless shelters, and children's camps that he has played in the past. He currently helps out with youth camps and works to get homeless or abandoned children into nature. He does a lot of gospel singing at local churches and stays constantly active.

He touched each of us with his humble and selfless lifestyle and inspired each of us to treat people kindly and fairly. Most of all, to never judge a book by its cover.

3 comments:

  1. this is my grandpa my name is wes smoker i would like to say you spelt yurok wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wes. My apologizes for spelling Yurok incorrectly. Your Grandpa Chuck is a great man and a wonderful guitar player. My name is Luke Wakefield and your Grandpa did some trail work with my trail team. Hope all is well with your family and once again, sorry for spelling Yurok wrong. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Luke its wes again its okay you spelt yurok wrong.... my grandpa says hi all 5 generations of smokers are having a fathers day salmon bbq

    ReplyDelete